|North and South Cottages||::: << Prev ::: Index ::: Next >> :::|
From the village green, take Common Lane and pass over the cattle grid at the north east corner of the Common, and these cottages are to be found on your left.
The one on the left is known as North Cottage, the other as South Cottage. At what stage they were converted into two is not known. The 1892 map shows that there were three cottages here and it is clear how one of the central windows was once the front door of a central cottage. However, it is also obvious that the southernmost of the three is not part of the original building, as it does not have any red brick in the lower part of its front wall.
The exact history of the cottages is not easy to work out. Ignoring a modern extension on the rear of North Cottage, the northern gable, seen from Common Lane, tells a story of at least two major rebuilds with both additional height being added to the cottage and further building work that almost doubled its depth.
The picture was taken on 8 February 2005
Page updated: 11 February 2005