Victorian Cottages ::: << Prev ::: Index ::: Next >> :::
Click to see next picture

These cottages are found on the eastern side of the Common. They look rather different to all the other cottages around the common, though the construction of the roof shows some similarities to that of the school. A map of 1892 shows buildings and their associated garden plots as they are today, which suggests they were built in the second half of the nineteenth century.

Another difference from any other cottages in the village is that they are "double-fronted", having windows to either side of the front door, an unusual feature in any semi-detached house.

The picture was taken on 25 January 2005

Page published: 11 February 2005